Missed your flight? Lost your bags? Caught a stomach bug? No problem. You don’t have to worry if you’re covered by the Classic Plan, one of the best travel insurance plans for international travelers.
The Classic Plan is like your favorite weather-proof jacket — the one you always pack in your suitcase, whatever your destination. It provides an extra layer of protection from any storm that comes your way. And it’s big enough to share: The Classic Plan covers kids 17 and under for free when traveling with a parent or grandparent. Here’s an in-depth look at the Classic Plan, as part of Allianz Global Assistance’s series of travel insurance reviews.
The Classic Plan Travel Insurance Review: Here’s What You Get
A lot can go wrong when you’re traveling, from small annoyances like losing your bag to major disasters like a medical issue. The Classic Plan is designed to protect travelers from the most common travel mishaps. Most importantly, it includes:
- Trip cancellation and interruption protection: This coverage can reimburse you for non-refundable trip payments when you have to cancel or interrupt your trip for a covered reason. The Classic Plan includes 26 covered reasons for canceling or interrupting your trip. It also can reimburse you up to 150 percent of your original trip costs if you must return home early because of a covered trip interruption.
- Emergency medical and dental coverage: When you’re traveling overseas, your regular health insurance plan probably won’t cover you. To protect you from exorbitant medical costs, the Classic Plan can reimburse you for covered emergency medical or dental care received while you’re traveling, up to a maximum of $25,000.
- Emergency medical transportation benefits: If you require medically necessary transportation to a medical facility and/or your home, following a covered injury or illness, this benefit covers up to $500,000 of those costs.
- Existing medical condition coverage: If you have a chronic or recently diagnosed medical condition, it’s important to make sure you have coverage for that existing condition. The Classic Plan can cover existing medical conditions for no additional cost — if you meet certain requirements. Two of those requirements are that you must insure the full cost of your trip within 14 days of paying your first trip deposit, and you must be medically able to travel at the time you purchase your insurance. We recommend speaking to an Allianz Global Assistance travel adviser to make sure you have the coverage you need.
- 24-hour hotline assistance: When you purchase a travel insurance plan from Allianz Global Assistance, you can call for free help, wherever you are. Hotline experts can help you replace a lost passport, find a qualified doctor, send a message home or rearrange your travel plans.
The Classic Plan also includes benefits that protect you and your possessions while you’re in transit:
- Baggage coverage: You can get up to $1,000 in reimbursement if your bags get damaged, lost or stolen.
- Baggage delay coverage: Get reimbursed up to $300 for essential purchases if your luggage is delayed at least 24 hours.
- Travel delay coverage: Stuck in the airport? No problem. Get up to $800 to reimburse you for meals, accommodations and lost prepaid expenses if your trip is delayed at least six hours.
- Missed connection coverage: If a covered delay causes you to miss your flight or cruise, this coverage reimburses you up to $800 for expenses incurred in resuming your trip.
- Change fee coverage: Need to change the date of your flight? This coverage can reimburse you for airline fees up to $250.
- Frequent flyer mile redeposit fee coverage: If you paid for your trip using airline points or miles, this coverage reimburses you for the fees associated with redepositing them (up to $250).
Classic Plan vs. Basic Plan Travel Insurance
What differentiates the Classic Plan from the lower-cost Basic Plan? Let’s put it this way: if the Classic Plan is a warm and waterproof jacket, the Basic Plan is a lightweight raincoat. It still provides some protection, just not as much.
The Basic Plan has much lower limits for emergency medical/dental coverage and emergency medical transportation coverage. It doesn’t include missed connection, change fee and frequent flyer mile redeposit fee coverage. And compared to the Basic Plan, the Classic Plan covers more reasons for trip cancellation or interruption.
There’s one more important difference: the Classic Plan can include benefits for financial default. This means that if your tour operator or cruise line should go under, you can be reimbursed for the trip costs you’ve paid.
Although the Classic plan is a good all-around choice for travel insurance, some travelers may need more coverage than it offers. If you’re planning a high-dollar dream vacation, such as a safari or an extended European cruise, or if you’re venturing into remote or perilous areas, you may want additional protection. The Classic Plan with Trip+ doubles nearly all the post-departure benefits of the Classic Plan, giving you up to $50,000 in emergency medical and dental coverage and $1 million in emergency medical transportation benefits.
Who Should Buy Classic Plan Travel Insurance?
The Classic Plan provides robust coverage for most international trips. It’s the best travel insurance for people who want peace of mind from knowing they’re protected in case of common travel mishaps, such as covered injuries, illnesses and natural disasters. Read travel insurance reviews to get a sense of the problems travelers often encounter.
The Classic Plan may be right for you if you are:
- Traveling overseas with your children or grandchildren
- Taking a cruise or an overseas tour
- Traveling internationally, but not to remote or dangerous regions
As always, read your policy documents carefully so you understand what’s covered by your travel insurance plan. Need help figuring out which plan is best for your next trip? Call our travel insurance advisers at 1-866-884-3556. Safe travels!